Greetings from the Burgh, where we are getting ready to ship out to Washington, D.C. for the official state visit of President Lula this Friday.
Help Pay for $100 Amtrak Ticket to DC
On Thursday, I plan to ship out to Washington, D.C. to cover the arrival of President Lula in the nation’s capital on Friday.
As a result of our readers, I was able to find a place to stay for free in Washington, D.C. However, I still need to pay for the Amtrak ticket to DC from Pittsburgh.
State of Union to Highlight Union Members
Tonite, President Biden is set to deliver the State of the Union. Many Congress members are inviting union members to attend the address as the Biden Administration intends to highlight union members in the address.
Pittsburgh Congresswoman Summer Lee (D-PA) announced that she was bringing UPMC worker Nila Payton.
“Nila is an OG badass in the PGH labor movement who has never backed down from Goliath,” tweeted Lee earlier today. “She has certainly taught me how to fight, and I can’t wait for more folks to know her!”
Here is a list with links about some union members that other members of Congress are bringing:
- First Lady Dr. Jill Biden has invited Ironworkers Local 44 member Saria Gwin-Maye of Cincinnati, Ohio.
- U.S. Representative Pramila Jayapal (WA-07) announced that she invited home healthcare provider Brittany Williams, an SEIU member
- Congresswoman Nikki Budzinski of Decatur, Illinois announced that she would bring Black IBEW, construction worker Andrea Kelly
- Congressman Chris Deluzio is bringing a striking Pittsburgh Post-Gazette worker James “Hutchie” VanLandingham with him.
- Congresswoman Katie Porter, who is running for Senate in California, is bringing California AFL-CIO President Lorena Gonzalez with her.
Alright folks, I gotta run to go on a date, but wanted to give a quick update. Donate to help me pay for the date and the travel costs to DC. Please, if you can, sign up as one of our 741 recurring donors today.
Thanks again for all the support.